I've been thinking. When my kids are grown and move out I'm going to visit them. A lot. Probably for 2-3 weeks at a time. You know, so they have time to miss me. Here are my plans for when I come a'callin':
1. I will demand a certain spread for dinner, practically faint from the hunger I feel when they take too long to prepare it, and then refuse to partake when it is on the table.
2. I will promise to be good when they need to run errands. But I will lie.
3. I will want to eat lots of bananas, but when my kids peel it wrong or it breaks in half, I will cry and flop onto the kitchen floor in despair. Same goes for tacos.
4. I will eat so much yogurt at their friend's house that they will rush out and buy a case of the same brand and flavor of yogurt for me at home. But I won't eat it.
5. I will never, never, ever flush the toilet.
6. I will use each and every public restroom in town, even if I went right before leaving the house. And when they wait outside the door, I will fling it open and shout victoriously, "I pooped!" to everyone within a square mile.
7. I will take all the pieces out of their board games and playing cards and spread them all over the house. Oh, they'll find them eventually and sort them out. But they will never find one piece from each game.
8. In my efforts to hang up my coat I will knock down every other one in the closet.
9. I will keep them up at night and then cheerfully enjoy my nap that afternoon while they wash my laundry.
10. I will eat a lot of graham crackers and then hug and kiss them. They'll be wearing a white cashmere sweater at the time.
11. I will use up every drop of their salon conditioner in one bath time.
12. I will crush up a bag of cheerios and distribute evenly in the couch cushions.
13. I will ride my bike in their house. Preferably right after they mop.
14. I will climb a tree and get stuck. I will wail and scream for help until they climb up and carry me down.
15. I will say embarrassing and questionable things when they invite the family minister over for tea.
16. I will forget everything they say so that they have to repeat it over and over again.
17. I will shout for them from across the house all day. Even if they're right beside me, I will go downstairs or upstairs purposefully so that I can shout something.
18. Every time they need to talk on the phone I will suddenly need something RIGHT NOW, even if I have completely ignored them prior to the phone call.
19. I will hide their jewelry and their car keys often.
20. I will dress myself in orange stripes and purple paisley and moon boots and I will cut my own bangs without a mirror right before we go for family pictures.
21. When they take me grocery shopping I will want to ride in the car shaped cart. But whenever they are in a tight squeeze in an aisle or trying to pay and can't get to the front of the car to get me out, I will suddenly sustain an earsplitting and horrible injury.
22. When they are loading up their groceries, I will always disappear around the wrong side of the car.
23. I will wake them up extra early on weekends.
24. I will be on my worst behavior on the Lord's Day so that they feel the need to curse all the way to church and then pretend to be super happy and holy when they get there.
25. I will eat their deodorant.
26. They will be so proud of my accomplishments for my age that they will want to show me off to their friends whose parents aren't as smart as me. But I will just pick my nose.
27. I will scribble in their books. Probably just the library books though.
28. When they try to take a picture of me I will screw up my face and stick out my tongue and put bunny ears on the person next to me. Every. Single. Time.
29. I will eat lots of pickles and ranch dressing and fish sticks and garlic sauce, and then want to cuddle.
30. It will be sweet.