Monday, August 27, 2012

The Nutty Bird

When I was a pre-teen, my grandparents on my mummy's side, Rod and Joyce (you can seem him on this post ) owned a frozen yogurt and sandwich shop in Pendleton, Oregon. 

My sister and I worked there one summer (or two, I don't remember, but my grandparents were gypsies and never stayed in place for longer than a year, so I doubt they owned it that long). I have a couple funny memories of that place, the first being that Pendleton has a large Native American population and one gentleman in particular used to come in frequently. He always wanted the chili and he would walk in, cross his arms, and bellow,

"CHILI BEAN!" in this terrifying, deep voice.

Not "chili beans," in the plural form, just 

"CHILI BEAN!"

He was the largest man I had ever seen, and though he didn't dress in native garb completely (I seem to remember a cowboy hat, wranglers, and a more authentic looking Indian type jacket), he was very unmistakably Native American, and let me tell you, rather frightening.

He also would let out a massive fart before he left.
Also, rather frightening.

Anyway, my other fondest memory was of a sandwich they invented.

It was called The Nutty Bird.

Ruebens? Love 'em.
Turkey, cream cheese and cranberry? Delish.
Ham and swiss? Tasty.
Subway Italian Trio with all the veg, hold the cheese, extra banana peppers and salt and pepper? Yum.
But The Nutty Bird? The one and only? Divine. Heaven in a pita. Yes, ma'am.

Make one. 
You'll thank me later.

The Nutty Bird

Layer in one pita:
sliced turkey
cream cheese
avocado
tomato
sprouts! (Sprouts are underutilized and deserve an exclamation point). Also, you can have the kids grow them in a mason jar and call it skool.



Drizzle with Thousand Island dressing, your favorite brand or homemade.

Sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Lots of 'em.

Devour.

Along with the scent of Jafra cosmetics, this is a favorite Gramma Joyce legacy. 

Homemade Thousand Island

3/4 cup mayo, or half mayo and half sour cream
1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup
1 tablespoon dill relish (use sweet if you want, just don't ever come back here. We are no longer friends)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that sandwich sounds heavenly. If I only had avocado on hand. And turkey...and cream cheese...and sprouts...and...well, someday I'll make that sandwich and it will be good. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it will be, girl. It will be.

    ReplyDelete