Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Birthday Cake

This week it's Birthday Week here at my house.  The two men in my life, my two main squeezes, the two guys who really float my boat, have turned 4 and not-4, respectively.

So, as I am forced to play Monopoly Deal for the eleventy-seventh time today, I am typing one handedly a recipe for you.  You, my little sweets.  Here you go:


Chocolate Fudge Cake with Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Instead-of-Frosting Frosting


Mix in bowl:

1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cocoa (baking, not instant hot chocolate, silly pickle)
1 1/2 teaspoons soda (baking, not ginger ale, dingaling)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or milk with a splash of lemon juice in it to make it lumpy and nasty)
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Ask your four year old to turn on the mixer.  Tell him to turn it on ONE.  He will turn it immediately on the highest setting.  Change your clothes and comb cocoa powder out of your hair.  Have the dog lick up the batter that splatters on the floor.  Threaten small child.  When mixed, bake at 350 40 minutes, or if your oven is like my oven and likes to compete in the Indy 500 of ovens, 30 minutes.

Cool.

Spread with:

 Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:

Cream together 2 sticks of butter with 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar
Add 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon each soda and salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips

I personally think cookie dough is kinda foul, but most people find it a guilty pleasure.  I find a large bar of Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt in my purse more of a guilty pleasure, or sipping a glass of Merlot while watching  Parenthood on my DVR a guilty pleasure, but to each his own.  Needless to say, a cake spread with cookie dough will make your little kids eyeballs pop out with delight.  Stick a candle on it and you're done.

Happy birthday, my little crumb cakes!




This recipe was linked up at http://www.littlehouseliving.com/2011/11/old-fashioned-recipe-exchange-11-1.html which is a very sweet little website.

3 comments:

  1. Crazy! Might have to try that recipe . . . wait! 2 STICKS of butter . . . eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, how is it possible that that kids has gotten even cuter? You two should never stop having children. Cute genes galore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Funny, my hubby's birthday is this week, too! How weird that our birthdays are just a few days apart, and we would pick hubbies with birthdays just a few days apart. Oh, and my hubby has always wanted me to have a baby close to his birthday, too, but somehow we never quite planned that right, and after 3 boys, I'm not too keen on having more at this point. But anyway, you rock for that totally inventive cake recipe! :d Hope you guys have an awesome Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete