Friday, October 28, 2011

I have a problem.


My name is Melyssa and I am a thrift store addict.

*hi, melyssa!*

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
I do.
I brake for yard sales.
Some house wives dream of running away with the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter! guy and going to some tropical local where they can sip drinks in coconuts with little umbrellas.
I dream of running away and becoming an American Picker.
I admit I have a disease.
Picker's disease.
Recently I was with Anna (my little picker in training) and we were at Goodwill looking for Halloween costumes. Yes, we dress up, which in some circles requires us to surrender our Christian homeschooling card for a month.  Anyway, I purchased this for Anna, being blinded by the price tag - a mere $3.99! for original art work! of a ballerina! - and I didn't look too closely.
It's certainly one of a kind.
Original.
Perhaps less Dega...more Dali?





Dem four legged ballerinas are hard to come by.  She must have had an frightful time getting into a company!  I admire her persistence.  Also, the man with no legs; I can't imagine what he went through trying to find a partner.  No-legs-man with four-legged-girl = match made in ballet heaven.

Either that, or I'm looking at it all wrong and she doesn't have four legs, she only has two legs which evidently both sprout of her right hip (youch) and the man is only a man from the torso up.  He's like a centaur except instead of stately horse legs he got saddled with lady gams with bad turn-out and no ability to point.

So, it may not have been the purchase of the year.  But it has character, by golly! I sorta want to see more from this artist.  A three armed gymnast perhaps?  A two headed figure skater?  Let us have a moment of silence for extra limbed performing artists out there.  We appreciate you.  We really do.  Although we're not sure where you go to buy tights.

8 comments:

  1. LOL!!! LOVE THIS!!! Thank you so much for making me laugh until I almost fell out of my chair.

    Much love from this fellow thrift store addict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept your lovin', but I get the impression you may be laughing AT me and not so much WITH me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, definitely laughing at you! But, whichever, it's still a laugh a minute! (I'm still anonymous, but it's your mama)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LAUGHED out loud... How do you even make that mistake I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait... what about Siamese twins? 2/3rds woman, 1/3 male?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it tells a sad, tragic story. Maybe, just maybe there are pieces of the story scattered at thrift stores across the nation waiting for someone to piece them together so we find out what happened to Janob. (more woman than man, but still both...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Misty, there's only way to find out....! You cover the Idaho Goodwills, I'll take the Oregon ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sad part . . . i would have bought it and never noticed the four-legged ballerina. you had to point it out to me. :P

    ReplyDelete